3 Year Programme
Understanding the media is like understanding the world around us, from billboards and advertisements to newspapers, radio and internet movies. In today’s globalised Information Age, getting the right message across is key. Employers in the creative industry need informed communicators who understand how to create the right message for the right audience.
Delivering the appropriate information requires both a practical and theoretical understanding of the context and implications of the ever-changing media landscape.
Graduate will gain:
- The fundamental concepts and principles of journalism and media, and the roles that media increasingly plays in today’s Information Age.
- Understanding of the dynamics of mass media such as newspapers, radio and television.
- Understanding of the role and implications of the New Media in the media industry and media practice globally.
- A firm grounding in the application of technologies like multimedia and methodologies in developing usable software systems.
- Knowledge to determine the right medium for the right message.
- An understanding of the role of language, composition, discourse and debate.
- Insights into the emerging trends in the global media landscape, such as cloud computing, along with the current ethical, professional and legal issues.
Theories of Communication
Information Systems and Technology
Case Study Workshop I
Principles of Public Relations
Introduction to Broadcasting
International Public Relations
Principles of Advertising
Communication Writing Skills
Case Study Workshop II
The Mass Media and Society: a Focus on Uganda
Audience Analysis and Media Research
Organisational Behaviour (BBA)
Case Study Workshop II
Media, Identity and Representation
New Media and the Digital age
Media Law, Ethics & Human Rights
Public Relations & Promotional Writing
Research Workshop I
Media and Communications Management
Communication Graphics: Designing, Creating Visuals & Art Direction
Writing for the Print Media
Case Study II
Art of Public Speaking
ICT for Development
Human Resources Management
Internship: Workplace Learning
Cases Study IV
Graduation from the Bachelor of Journalism and Media program opens up opportunities for a wide range of career options in the world of media. Media graduates find that their knowledge and skills suit a variety of career roles making them much sought after in media sectors like the press, radio and television, and marketing and public relations related industries. Students develop a flexible and creative approach to tasks, excellent practical skills, and a greater critical awareness of media’s role in society. The program is production-based, allowing students to graduate from the program with a portfolio to present to potential employers.
Internship and placement opportunities can be arranged.
Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education or its equivalent and 2 principal passes obtained at the same sitting.
Diploma in journalism, media, communication or any other related course from a recognized Institution.